The cost of living is growing. Fuel has never been so expensive, the weekly shop has never been this much! Something’s gotta give, right?
However, that doesn’t need to be your health and fitness. Here are five top tips to gain the upper hand in the Cost of Living Crisis
- ‘Self-medicating with food or alcohol’… or binge eating. It’ll be no surprise that the companies that do best in times of national stress are alcohol and sugar companies. I hate to say it, but you don’t need that Sunday night bottle of wine. It’s only setting your week off on a slightly fuzzy note. Trust me, I’ve been there – made this mistake so you don’t have to.
- Avoid ‘all or nothing’ thinking. You don’t need to stop having all luxuries, but you may need to try some other brands. It’s not always true that you get what you pay for!
- Use your legs! Obviously this is good for your own health and fitness, but it’s going to save you a few quid on fuel, parking, fares, and all the rest of it! Could you walk to the station instead of drive for your commute to London? That’s £15 per day parking for a 20-minute walk each way!
- Do you really need four different streaming services, each with over one zillion hours each? I think not. Use one per month and hunt for the free trials. One month trial this month, then cancel it. One month trial for the next month, then cancel that.
- Plan your meals and stick to the food shopping list. Could you get it delivered to stop those pesky impulse purchases? Maybe even plan for two deliveries per week if it’s the top-up shop that gets you!
Stoicism is the ancient art of turning adversity into advantage. Get yourself ahead of the game and make the right choices. Being aware of your priorities helps – this will help you to make the right decision quickly and keep you in line with your personal goals.